Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Joel McHale is My Hero

Not only is the guy ridiculously cute (I have an affection for tall men), but he gets paid to mock bad television. And that has led to an opportunity to star in good television.

Now, I went to Berkeley (Go Bears!), and Berkeley is full of idealistic students who somehow do not realize that the 60s are over - and I am not just talking about the independent pharmaceutical distribution that the town is also famous for. No, I am talking about the pathological need some students have to re-create the Free Speech Movement.

So, that brings me to my love for Joel McHale - or at least his new show Community (but make no mistake - I love Joel McHale for who he is as well). On last week's episode, the students are so eager to be political in college that they host a protest to show their outrage over a journalist who was beaten to death in Guatemala - and had a pinata made to look like him for the protest. They finish the day's event with a silent protest and candle light vigil - you know, because silence=death and candles are dramatic.

Well, Joel McHale's character is trying to get with some generic, but attractive blond, so he pretends to care and joins the protest. Meanwhile, Chevy Chase's character gets super drunk and makes a scene. This is brilliant. Ah, reminds me of college.

2 comments:

  1. I used to love Joel McHale. In fact, he was probably on my "list." But, a few months ago, he promoted his comedy show on DC101 during Elliott's show and he wasn't funny. He was on two different times, and both times were a bust. He was awkward, and not interesting. I used to watch The Soup religiously, and would also try to find Joel's guest spots on HSN and Iron Chef, etc. But, after listening to him, and seeing how awkward he was without a script, I can't even watch The Soup anymore, let alone anything else he has done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tami and I saw him live and thought he was very good. He did some obligatory celeb stuff, but in particular, he was very funny talking about his family.

    I guess it depends what you're looking for from a comedian. I would say most of us have a hard time being funny on cue, but I think he writes funny stuff and delivers it well. That's all I'm really asking of him. Now, dinner companions I expect to be funny at random, but I don't hold them to as high a standard of funny and I'm pleased with whatever infrequent nuggets I get. From a comedian, I expect rapid-fire very funny, but I'm OK that they went home and thought about it first.

    ReplyDelete