Tuesday, September 8, 2009

On Skinny Jeans: Proof that We Read Our Comments

Recently, BellaNutella asked us the following in comments:

How do we feel about skinny jeans? more coverage and hold than leggings, but are they still offensive? I'm hoping the answer is no, as I've spotted a nice black pair at BR; however, I'm counting on you Bitches to tell me the truth!

Well Bella, you're in luck because bitches always tell the truth. The truth about skinny jeans is that only (and this may be generous) 5% of the population can pull them off while closer to 35% of the population believes they can pull them off.

I don't object on principle, but the very simple fact is that skinny jeans were invented for, shocking though this might be, the skinny. And not just the normal skinny, the freakish model skinny. They're one of those things that should only be available in sizes 00, 0, 2 and maybe 4 (but only for the tall) just to save people from themselves. It's like when you see a tight fitting dress in a size large and you pray that the store won't sell any for the benefit of your eyes. I say if no one above a size small should wear it, you just shouldn't make a larger size at all...for society.

As for me, I'm a size 4 and I cannot pull off the skinny jean. Anyone who has hips and thighs just shouldn't try. Skinny jeans are the skinny legged, knock kneed girls' revenge from when they were picked on in middle school. To tell if you're in the should or should not group, try on a pair of skinny jeans. If (1) your inner thighs touch each other when you stand with your feet shoulder width apart or (2) there is any rounding from the thighs just above the knee then you're in the 95% of the population with me and you'll have to give up on the dream. Bella, I could be wrong, so take the test above, but my inclination is that, knowing you as I do, you have more womanliness to you than a 12 year old boy and, as a result, skinny jeans are not for you...or for most people who wear larger than an A-cup.

If you do qualify to wear skinny jeans, please, for the love of god, wear the proper footwear with them. Tennis shoes are a no. Really, not anything you'd need to wear socks with. Converse maybe. Generally, go for a simple flat...ballet shoe-esque. Like the overplayed Tory Burch slides...but something not so over played. If they're the type that bunch at the bottom, you can wear heels. Otherwise, heel with caution.

That's this bitch's take. Tami? Commenters?

2 comments:

  1. Haha love it, substituting tie-dyed leggings and koolaid-esque shirt ;) loveyoumeanit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I can sum up everything I learned in the sorority in two phrases: Is this a shirt or a dress? It could be a dress, put a belt on!"

    ReplyDelete