Thursday, September 17, 2009

Help Us Name This Phenomenon

Tami: I am bloated. Sometimes I hate being female
Elle: happens to the best of us
Tami: dont let me punk out of going to the gym tonight
Elle: mmk
Tami: I did last night because I was pouty, and had bar food for dinner, which was a bad idea
Elle: yeah, but it happens when you're pouty. Just recommit to the discipline. I'm having to do it too, for I am fat
Tami: you are not fat
Elle: all of my clothes are tight. I am fat for me
Tami: ok, I buy that. Same boat
Elle: There should be a word for that--when otherwise normal/skinny girls put on a little weight that they want to get rid of, versus actually getting fat (which I would expect you to tell me "bitch, get to the gym, it's getting bad")
Tami: lol
Elle: Because I feel like so often when you're trying to honestly discuss and evaluate weight gain that you don't like and need to work on friends jump into self-esteem defense mode a la Mean Girls and are like "you're not fat! you're so skinny!"
Tami: no, it's true. i think it's really tough to be a friend sometimes. You want to be supportive,
but not mean. And there is also the girl thing that when a girl says she's fat, she wants to hear she isnt--not always, but often. It's fishing for reassurance
Elle: right, and it's really hard to assess what the friend wants
Tami: seriously
Elle: which is why there should be these two separate terms, because when a normal skinny girl says the term that means actual fat, you would know she's looking for reassurance, versus when she says the new term--whatever we decide it is--for a reasonable assessment of her size, which she'd like to work on
Tami: what is wrong with our gender though? why can't we just be more straightforward?
Elle: ha, you want us to go to our friends and be like 'I'm having a low self-esteem day, please tell me I'm still skinny?"
Tami: kinda. If you need something, ask for it...and welcome an honest response. Like, "well, honey, you have put on weight, but your skin is awesome. Let's go for a run to fix the problem."
Elle: or, "Well sweetie, you have put on some weight, but you're still on the thin size of average. Rethink that shirt though, because it's showing off your problem areas."
Tami: YES!

5 comments:

  1. muffiny? stemming from the term muffin-top?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'FFM:' fat for me, or perhaps just 'fluffy:' not quite fat, but there's a little extra fluff to lose. I prefer the phrase 'i feel like a fatty, my jeans are tight.' Implies that I feel fat for me, but that I actually am fat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Btw, I think I'll develop the NYC diet: run around like a madwoman, and don't have time to eat, simply subsist off of coffee and vodka sodas. Bonus points if you master running in heels :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I support "muffiny," but for chicks with muffin tops, which is sooooo not us.

    FFM I dig. Bella, I've been on the NY diet...I lose 5 pounds and then binge on cream sauce and chocolate. It's not pretty.

    ReplyDelete