Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Emmys - Your Delayed and only Partial Recap

Before I begin my - as advertised - delayed and partial recap of the Emmys, I have a confession. After a series of events this weekend far too depressing to detail on 2B1B, I was so out of it that I completely spaced on the Emmys until 9:00 p.m. I missed the red carpet, the opening number, and the comedy awards. So, hence the partial Emmy recap.

First and foremost: I <3 NPH. I had such a crush on him as Doogie, and he is just awesome as Barney Stinson. He was robbed. I mean, he lost to Duckie! Are you even kidding me?! Then, there is the Alec Baldwin 2nd win in a row. Now, before you get all worked up over some perceived blasphemy, let me offer the following disclaimer. I think 30 Rock is genius. I was saying, "I want to go to there" for months after Liz Lemon immortalized the phrase. And, Alec Baldwin is hilarious. However, I think he won because of star power. Who should have won you may ask? Jim Parsons of the Big Bang Theory - that's who. Now, I know what you are probably thinking.

Huh? Who is Jim Parsons and what is the Big Bang Theory. Well, the Big Bang Theory is an amazingly funny comedy and Jim Parsons is its center. He is amazing. The show is about 4 nerds and a semi-hot neighbor. One of the nerds cannot speak in front of women without alcohol. Another is a delusional Jewish guy (who I swear I went to Hebrew School with) who thinks he's a ladies man. David from Roseanne plays the relatively normal one trying to hook up with the semi-hot neighbor. By the way, for all the years I watched Roseanne and all the times I have seen Christmas Vacation, I only realized like a year ago that Johnny Galecki plays RUSTY! Crazy. Finally, there is Jim Parsons as Sheldon. Words cannot describe how hilarious he is. Just watch the show - and you're welcome.

Kristin Chenowith's win for Pushing Daisies only serves to further enrage me about the cancellation of the show that was the televised equivalent of a big, warm hug.

We all know Glenn Close will not be ignored, but that is no reason to reward Damages - especially not with Mad Men in the category. Look, she's admittedly (by critics anyway) the best thing on that show. However, this seems to just be another case of star power winning out over performance. Glenn Close is the chick who boiled a bunny and has been in a billion movies. But, Emmy voters - let's recognize fresh talent for a change!

I don't even want to talk about the woman from 24 (which incidentally has totally jumped the shark - how many horrible days can one agent have...apparently as many as it takes for Keifer Sutherland to become too expensive to produce the show). Either of the amazing ladies from In Treatment were robbed.

I will say that the big wins of the evening - while predictable - were right on. Go 30 Rock and Mad Men!

Finally, the Emmy fashion was disappointing. No one was off the deep end crazy - well, no one who matters anyway. I think some random chick showed up wearing some kind of Obama blanket, but most everyone else who was bad was just kind of bad. Drew Barrymore was BORING for f***'s sake! For a full recap, I leave you to the Fug Girls.

One thing I will promise you, dear reader. Assuming this blog remains entertaining for the next 12 months, next year I will do better. As God as my witness, I will never miss the Emmy Red Carpet again!

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely agree with you about Pushing Daisies! That show was the highlight of my week.

    ReplyDelete