Thursday, July 23, 2009

Should I Take Them Back?

Perhaps I was spoiled at my last gym. It was more than a gym; it was a health club. There were full size towels for both working out and showering. Staff routinely cleaned the machines, mats and equipment. The personal trainers were professional fitness instructors with degrees in kinesiology and other crap majors that made it impossible for them to do anything but be fitness instructors. The locker rooms were clean, and you didn't mind showering there - and they provided shampoo, conditioner, razors. Anything you needed was there.

Now, I belong to one of the large and crappy national chains. True, I have multiple locations to choose from and pay significantly less each month, but I wonder if even those perks make it worthwhile. Remember, this is the place that offers pizza to its members - those evil geniuses.

Last night I went to a cardio kick box class and the instructor repeatedly went "WOOHOO" throughout the class - WHILE WEARING THE F***ING MICROPHONE. I wished it were a contact class, so I could hit her in the face. Tonight, wasn't any better. I decided to attend spin class, in spite of my intense hatred of the activity. I find it a reliable way to get my heart rate up and work up a sweat.

Well, it was more horrible than normal. First of all, I personally believe that fitness instructors should be fit - or at least in better shape than I am. This girl...was not. Now, she wasn't morbidly obese or anything - just a bit round. This is not a condemnation of fat people (that might appear in another post), but I need to aspire to look like you in order to take you seriously. If you look like you work at Krispy Kreme, I just pity you. Her size showed itself when she gave us a break of a minute or more in between every track - in a 45 minute class. I swear, it was like 30 minutes of spin and another 15 of her "letting us rest our legs" and asking us how we were feeling. Really? REALLY? The first time you asked and no one answered, that should have been your clue we weren't into playing this little game. But, I guess someone in spin instructor school told her she needed to keep asking whether her class was enthusiastic or not.

The plot thickens as my old gym sent me an email this week asking me to come back. I am being offered $0 enrollment and a month free. It's like how when you're with someone else, the ex comes sniffing around. And you realize the new guy kinda sucks and the ex looks really good. What's a girl to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment