Friday, July 24, 2009

I Worry My Pandora is Judging Me

The makers of Pandora are geniuses. Not only is it a great and enjoyable concept, but they made that great and enjoyable concept work on my Blackberry and it's straight up replaced my iPod (in large part because I haven't been able to find my iPod charger since I moved.) Needless to say, I love Pandora and, not knowing (or bothering to find out with a simple Google search) who the makers of it are, I've transferred all of my respect for the program to Pandora itself. I think it's easier to do because it responds to my input and I vaguely believe that it knows me, but yeah, I revere a computer application at this point more than most people I encounter on a given day.

That said, every now and then I worry that it's judging me. For example, I've been in an angsty, miss-my-1990's-teenage-rebellion, post-grunge mood for a little while, so I created a Third Eye Blind station. (I now worry that my blog readers are judging me as well.) And it's great--Third Eye Blind, Incubus, Tom Petty, Green Day, Semisonic, Weezer, Vertical Horizon, Oasis, Goo Goo Dolls, Wallflowers, I've effectively convinced it that the only Everclear song I want to hear is Santa Monica--Just the throw back I wanted.

Here's the problem--it turns out, I don't like Third Eye Blind that much. I mean, I do, but I like their singles, which is maybe the only thing lamer than liking them in the first place. That's right, Semi-Charmed Kind of Life. What?! The further off the beaten track that I like (and it's not that far) is Blinded. So when Pandora gives me one of their numerous other songs (I swear to god, I thought they only had one album), I really want to give it the thumbs down and tell them never to play it again. But I worry that the almighty Pandora is like "What the fuck?! She told me she liked Third Eye Blind and I played her her stupid Third Eye Blind, but it seems she likes everything else on this station but the goddamn Third Eye Blind!" (My anthropomorphic Pandora curses a lot.)

Now that I'm truly embarrassed by this post, I feel like I should have used The Cars as my example. Except there's nothing by The Cars that I'd skip...at least nothing that I'd admit to.

1 comment:

  1. wow not only are pandora and your blog readers judging you, your good friends totally are too!

    ReplyDelete