Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Is Real World Even Trying to Be Real Anymore?

Short answer: I don't think so.

I am one to argue that MTV's Real World lost touch with reality long ago. In fact, I wrote my honors thesis on this topic (and I went to Berkeley, so stifle the snide comments about my honors thesis from community college). It was very academic - and only half my research involved watching television.

See, I believe the show began as the social experiment it has always purported to be. They used to just observe normal looking people and their interactions. Now, they send wannabe actors and models - who look like they are straight out of central casting - to party capitals all over the world, give them ridiculous jobs they are completely unqualified for and figure out how to ply them with liquor without actually pouring the drinks down their throat.

But now, they are letting a cast member stay who was kicked out of the hotel where they reside in Cancun stay on the show. Isn't the whole f***ing point of the show that they live together?!

I wish I could quit this horrible, brain-atrophying show. But I can't. And now, they are taping in DC, and all I can think is how badly I want to see the cast out and about getting drunk live and in person. I may need help, but that doesn't change the fact that Real World needs a reality check.

1 comment:

  1. Did you see the part where they all protested Joey getting fired? He got fired cause he never came to work. He never came to work because he was always too drunk.

    I think I'm too old to relate, but I can't stop watching. And I hope that normal 22-year-olds can actually hold down jobs...(I think they can).

    ReplyDelete