Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Top 5 Greatest Movies of All Time (or at least my childhood)

My father collects things: books, gadgets, and movies (in whatever format is cutting-edge at the time). However, for some insane reason, he finds cable to be a waste of money. So, we had tons of VHS and 7 channels. For no particular reason - or perhaps to eulogize John Hughes - here are my top 5 favorite movies growing up.

5) Crocodile Dundee - What ever happened to Paul Hogan - or that chick? Apparently nothing. Anyway, it was a wonderfully silly movie that gave us such dialogue gems as "you call that a knife?!"

4) Ghostbusters - I admit, this is probably on the list because I am currently watching it on AMC. But, that doesn't change the fact that it is a great film. I mean, Rick Moranis' performance alone makes this one of the best campy romps of the 80s (and there were more than a few campy romps in the decade that spawned acid wash and the hair crimper). Even a horrible sequel can't diminish the greatness that is Ghostbusters.

3) Christmas Vacation - While all the vacation movies kick ass, this is far and away my favorite. I mean, a man in an RV who owns a dog named "Snots" kidnaps a rich CEO and they all end up singing Christmas carols and drinking eggnog. Plus, we see Juliette Lewis before she turned into this.

2) Breakfast Club - The birth of the brat pack. Enough said.

1) 16 Candles - I admit it, I watched this video so many times that the beginning was actually all screwed up because the tape got distorted. This movie made me excited to go to high school, where I could be Jake Ryan's Samantha. There are so many wonderful scenes and lines...I don't know where to start. But the best thing about this movie is that as much as I loved it as a kid, when I watched it as a teenager, I finally understood the jokes - and they were even funnier.

John Hughes was a genius (and yes, I realize that I left of Ferris Bueller's Day Off and Uncle Buck and two of the movies on this list have no affiliation with Hughes) and a hero of mine. I wish I could have met him - and asked him for Michael Schoeffling's phone number.

No comments:

Post a Comment