Sunday, August 16, 2009

Don't Call It "San Fran"

I've been sick. I happen to believe that ethnic food is the cure to illness--Thai, Indian, matzoball soup. I'm the only person you know who gains weight when they're sick. So, having been sick, I went to get a bowl of pho for lunch yesterday.

The pho was great. The table next to me very nearly made me sicker. Their conversation started with surprise that there was so much soup on the menu. "I guess if you lived in Vietnam, you'd eat a lot of soup. Weird because it's so hot there." Insightful, thank you. They continued by musing about how surprisingly filling the soup is. If one is going to be so very surprised by Vietnamese food, how did one come to wander into a restaurant called Nam Viet? What could they have been expecting? (The restaurant's great, by the way. If you don't suck, you should try it. If you do suck, stay away so that you don't bother me.)

All of this I might have excused, but apparently the chick is looking for a job. After some discussion, the dude queries, "Are you still looking for jobs in San Fran." It was all I could do not to throw my surprising soup all over this incredible poser and scream at him "Don't call it San Fran!" And I hope that chick never gets a job in SF simply by virtue of being friends with this tool and not correcting him when he uttered "San Fran."

No doubt those that invoke this annoying little nickname believe that they sound familiar with the city--like a local. Here's a little tip: no one in the Bay Area calls it that and saying it makes you sound like a tool. We also don't eat Rice-a-Roni. No doubt this has thrown many's perception of the world into upheaval. There, there.

2 comments:

  1. Did you mean Rice-A-Roni? I don't understand the Hamburger Helper reference...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I...did. I don't even know my own misplaced references.

    ReplyDelete