Friday, August 21, 2009

Is Sarah Silverman Funny?


I recently acquired Showtime (and it very well may have been the happiest day of my life), and I have taken full advantage of the fact that all the movies that HBO/Starz didn't pay for end up there. I was excited to record Sarah Silverman's Jesus is Magic. I had heard mixed things about it, and I was curious.

Now, I saw (and LOVED) The Aristocrats. Sarah Silverman's bit was pretty amusing (though nothing was better in that film than Carrie Fisher. When she talked about how her mom - who is Debbie Reynolds - was the queen of golden showers, and Singin' in the Rain started out as a completely different movie, I nearly peed. But, I digress), and of course, we all loved her f***ing Matt Damon. But, then there was her Comedy Central show that was sort of meh, and I was still undecided.

After watching Jesus is Magic, I am thinking she might not really be that funny. She definitely has her moments. But, I don't think her material is actually good. I think it's her delivery. Case and point, at the end of the show, this other girl is on stage saying the very same shit Silverman did earlier in the program. It's horrible! I think people like Silverman because she is irreverent, crass, and "edgy" but it comes in this innocuous looking package. She is so deadpan and sincere it is chilling - especially when she makes the Holocaust jokes.

I wonder if she has a Sasha Baron Cohen thing going on. Where she says such horrible, racist, ridiculous stuff to expose other people's prejudices? Or, is she secretly kinda racist and hides behind the fact she is a comic? I also wonder, if she weren't so cute (well, for a female comic - most of the other successful female comics look like Rosie O'Donnell - Silverman has some really unfortunate angles where you see clear up her nose) would anyone know (or care) who she is, and would Matt Damon have made that video with her?

Oh, and if she insists on staying famous, could someone get her a stylist?

1 comment: