Tuesday, March 9, 2010

How Did I Live Without Showtime?

I grew up without cable, and I blame that for my severe TV addiction. I was so desperate as a child for quality programming that now I feel as though there is an embarrassment of riches and I am a TV hoarder. It's like I survived the TV depression, and now I can't throw anything out!

Recently, we subscribed to Showtime and a whole new world has opened up. While the CW does deliciously soapy crap television, there is nothing as decadent as a Showtime original.

Exhibit A: Secret Diary of a Call Girl

The title is pretty self-explanatory. A prostitute in London (you know, because setting it in London with British accents makes it classier) has a book deal and writes about her exploits while having an affair with her dreamy publisher. And since it is a premium channel, it occasionally verges on soft-core. In short - awesome!

Exhibit B: United States of Tara

Talk about original! Tara is a mother and wife with multiple personalities. Her "alters" are a Susie-Homemaker (a real Bree Van de Kamp-esq character), a 17 year old slut, and a redneck guy named Buck. Her kids are about as well-adjusted as one could hope. Her son is like 14 and struggling with his sexuality while her daughter dates douchebags and has super low self esteem. It's totally twisted and very fun.

Exhibit C: Nurse Jackie

Edie Falco is magic. She plays a deplorable human being who cheats on her husband to get drugs (and her lover is totally in love with her), she pops pills on the job, and she lies about organ donation and loss (she flushed a patient's ear down the toilet). Yet, she is one of the most sympathetic characters on television. It's totally a must-watch (plus, you don't even see a trace of Soprano).

Exhibits D, E, and F:

While I don't watch Weeds, Dexter or Californication (not because I don't want to, I just feel like I am coming in too late and will be totally lost), there are tons of awards among all three shows and the premises are all super original.

If you are living without Showtime, I seriously recommend that you reevaluate your priorities. A subscription will change your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment