Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Trust Me, You're Not Special

When I got engaged, I was inundated with advice. Common themes included:

  • It's your day - just remember that
  • Plan that people will not show up who did RSVP and those who did not RSVP will show up
  • ELOPE!

Somehow, I thought I was going to be different. I truly believed my wedding was going to be the exception, not the rule. Our RSVPs would come in on time with no surprises. Our families wouldn't create any drama. And, I wouldn't get any random gifts that weren't on the registry. Call it optimism, call is hubris, call it stupidity, but shocker: I WAS WRONG. And, so are you if you think you're special.

Suffice it to say the advice is all true. So, that being said let me offer some to those who plan to get married some day. Much will go wrong. You will be frustrated. You will have a sobbing meltdown. But, if you are marrying someone you really love, it will all be worth it in the end - at least I hope so :)

And, if all else fails, you can always elope!

No comments:

Post a Comment