Sunday, October 4, 2009

It's Hard Out There for A Cal Fan

I know quite a few Cal fans read this blog, but I am willing to hazard a guess that most of Elle's friends were not around for the dreaded Holmoe years. I learned as a wee freshman that being a Cal fan is rife with disappointment and heartbreak.

But, after the most abysmal year (our 1-10 season where our only victory was a post-season game with Rutgers that had to be rescheduled because of 9/11) I think in Cal's history (but, if I am wrong, I am sure someone will straighten me out - I don't want to do the Google search, deal with it), we were given a gift in the form of Jeff Tedford. He has been deified by all Cal fans - including Elle - and with good reason. He brought Cal football back from the brink.

But, it is still Cal football. And that means there will always be disappointment. The Bears can snatch defeat from the jaws of victory - I have seen it with my own eyes many times. For all you Cal fans that read what us bitches think, I wanted to share this piece that a friend of mine found in the Wall Street Journal. I think it summarizes the Cal fan experience quite nicely. Thanks GM!

Make no mistake, I will never lose faith in my Bears. And, I hope to see them play in the Rose Bowl sometime soon (and I hope I can afford the tickets when they finally do). Sadly, I also will never be surprised when another promising season doesn't turn out as I hoped.

3 comments:

  1. To give proper credit, my friend Beth (beautyjunkieinsf.com) shared the article with me. She is a younger Cal Bear -- her freshman year was the first year of Tedford, so she is experiencing the heartbreak of bleeding blue and gold for the first time and I am helping her cope. Great post, and although I hate the cheer because I think it is bad luck, ROLLLLLL ON YOU BEARRRRRRSSS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Write Honourable GentlemanOctober 5, 2009 at 7:39 AM

    Tedford's first year was my third. Elle and I (and others) almost got in a bar fight with an even younger (and vastly less intelligent) bear who said we should fire Tedford. Types like that loser seem to think top players will go to Cal for how awesomely it treats its athletes, or for the academics. Really guys, a winning season is a great season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tedford is the best thing to happen to Cal football in a long time. These young fetuses who only know winning football seasons need to be schooled. Glad you and Elle put him in his place and no one got arrested.

    ReplyDelete