Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Am I the Only Feminist Who Doesn't Have a Problem with This?

UPDATE: Upon learning of this from AH, I officially reverse my position. Pull the damn thing. Or open up the ad space to everyone, though AH also makes a good point about the public health implications of this specific ad (see comments.)

ORIGINAL: I...just don't have a problem with this. I'm a self-identified feminist and I'm pretty damn left, but part of my hippie liberal beliefs is that everyone has the right to say whatever the hell they want. I don't think it will come as any surprise to people that there are two sides of the abortion debate. In fact, I think everyone knows what the two sides are, what their arguments are, and that they're trying to persuade people to agree with them.

All ads are opinion pieces. "You should buy this." "You should believe that." Granted CBS screwed up in the past by denying other "advocacy" ads--that was wrong. But what I would prefer is for everyone to have the opportunity to express their opinion if they can raise the cash to do so (as long as everyone is charged the same amount.) What's the old saying? "I don't agree with what you're saying, but I'd defend with my life your right to say it."

I'm well aware of the argument that pay-to-speak situations like commercials gives rich folks more rights to free speech than the rest of us, but here's the thing--I'd rather rich people decide with their money what messages they pay to deliver than a huge entertainment network deciding what we can and cannot discuss. The latter seems to have much more insidious possibilities to me.

Why are pro-choice groups giving the ad's storyline free media instead of working together to collect enough donations to buy an ad of their own? (That said, Focus on the Family, you didn't think that $2.5 to $2.8 million would be better spent in, say, Haiti?)

4 comments:

  1. I think the tragedy is that they are using Tim Tebow - I hate that guy. Otherwise myself being a self proclaimed feminist and pro-choice I agree with you - American is about freedom of speech and choices and all sides should be heard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Compelling. I feel...better now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm essentially in agreement with you Elle for several reasons:

    1. Tim recently was quoted saying something to the effect of 'I understand why people might be upset but I'm just standing up for what I believe in, which is something most athlete's don't do, and I hope if people can't agree with me they at least can respect me expressing my opinion' (Again, LOTS of paraphrasing but that was the essence of what he was saying). That's awesome because, no I don't agree with the message, but I DO agree with his assessment of athletes and the overall lack of discussion of real issues and with his statement about respecting other people's right to express their opinion, even when you don't agree with it.

    2. If FOTF wants to blow about 3 million on a 30 second commercial that probably won't change anybody's mind or even be remembered 5 minutes after it airs, that's cool because that's 3 million they can't spend on a lot of other activities that might actually cause some harm to the pro-choice movement.


    My only real problem with this is something Kelly hinted at above: FOTF is basically using Tim to get their message out while he still has any clout. Anyone who watched footage of the Senior Bowl this week knows that Tebow's star is falling . . . FAST. He's most likely NOT going to be a 1st round pick and although I believe he will ultimately be drafted, he's probably never going to be a starting QB, let alone a star in the NFL.

    One other thing: I hope that both sides can take to heart the sentiment Tim echoed about respecting each others right to voice our opinions without fear or ridicule for our decision to do so. In particular, I hope FOTF remembers this the next time they want to demonize pro-choicers by calling us 'baby-killers,' etc. The bottom line: you are welcome to dispute the merits of my argument but you sure as hell my not call me names while doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was waiting to comment on this post, because i knew something like this would be coming on the heels of the tebow ad drama: http://gawker.com/5459914/cbs-says-no-gay-kissing-during-the-super-bowl

    at the end of the day, some people's life choices are more acceptable than others' in this society. choosing not to terminate a life-threatening pregnancy? a-ok. kissing another dude? not so much.

    this isn't a free speech issue, not really. we don't all get a chance at airtime. we regulate television content in this country, that's just the way it is. that's why boobs are only on after eleven.

    but while we're regulating, i say pull the tebow ad. if you need a reason, read the details of Mrs. Tebow's pregnancy: http://deadspin.com/5458857/the-dangerous-message-of-the-tebow-miracle

    neilsen ratings estimate that more than 35 million women over the age of 18 will watch the superbowl this year.

    with an audience of that magnitude, airing an ad that essentially encourages women to wholly disregard the sound advice of their doctors in favor of a quick prayer and a roll of the dice is a public health hazard.

    ReplyDelete